Dating ampeg b15
Hull received a patent for his amplified peg (Ampeg) design in November 1947 and began manufacturing them in New Jersey with his new partner, Stanley Michael.
Shortly thereafter, Hull and Michael went their separate ways and Hull moved Ampeg to Manhattan where he slowly began building amplifiers and developing the Ampeg name.
Need information on an Ampeg product not listed on the site?
Then please check the list below for the product in question and any materials to go with it, such as owner's manuals.
Oliver also borrowed a design from an old sewing machine where the unit would flip out of the cabinet.
The first Portaflex amp was formally introduced in 1960 as the B-15.
According to the serial number 0137XX, your amp was built in 1965, which would make it either a B-15NC or B-15NF.
The B-15N has held relatively steady in the used market and is currently worth between 00 and 00 in working condition.
There are a few things to note about Ampeg production from this time.
Hull was not a fan of rock ’n’ roll music and never designed an amp for this genre.
Much like all of Ampeg’s amps, the B-15 underwent constant change, and the B-15 was replaced by the B-15N in 1961.
In 1962, Ampeg updated the B-15N with a solid-state rectifier called the B-15NB and introduced their famous “blue check” vinyl covering to their entire amp line.The double-baffle porting system gave the amp what Hull described as “the creamiest tone.” At the time, combo amps were the norm, with all components housed in a single cabinet, but heat from the electronics often caused the amp to overheat and made the speaker fail.